28 April 2006

Let Live

The comps have ended. My friend is still gone. Every so often I think of him and my heart goes into momentary freefall. Gotta keep moving…

For a little change of feel, I decided on an adventure-rally-style flying trip in the South of Brazil with some long time pilot friends. No pilot meetings, controversy, or GPS timed finishes. Out here in this –World-, does a second mean 10 points lost? It means absolutely nothing, not even the word itself.

Packed my glider with foam sufficient for a parachute drop, to protect my all-carbon frame, and rode with the Colombians down to Miami to catch my flight to São Paulo. First a night in Miami, which is always nice.

Strange… suddenly I was in São Paulo at 11pm and dragging my 100lb glider through the airport. My friends were waiting, we loaded, and were doing 120km/h into the interior in 10min flat. Along the way we drove over a part of a truck transmission and it tore up our ride. Looked like Godzilla had gone to town on the chassis. Nothing that a little 2am welding job couldn’t fix though. Hit Carmo do Rio Claro at 4am, got some sleep, and were ready to fly the next day. Unpacked at launch, still feeling weird about how quickly my surroundings had morphed, as I watched.

Grass covered hills, lakes everywhere with clear blue water. With 100km out-and-returns or triangles everyday, smooth 3m/s thermals to 2500m -and this is offseason- I wouldn’t want anything more. After my first flight here, I found myself packing up and thinking to myself that the air is so smooth here that it’s like sleeping in silk, except with a better view.

For almost a week now we’ve been packing all our stuff in the truck each morning because we never know where we are going to end up. We just setup, decide what direction to go, and do it. If it’s too windy to come back to the same city we just stay where we end up. There is always a launch nearby. Wherever the sky and our intentions take us…

I’ve noticed recently many people asking me where my favourite place to fly is; I haven’t had a real answer for them, but I do now. Here.



Carmo do Rio Claro



Bush Mechanics



Flytec Country



Basescape



Inviting Lakes



Silk Thermal



Marcelo Reaches for Base



Calm Lake



The Perfect LZ



Cooling Off After an Outlanding

2 comments:

  1. Seems like just ystrdy you were packing up that beast for travel. Looks nice there. 37 degrees farenheit here in Vt this morning.... Peter Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Brett you got me jealous I wish i was there flying with you in that lovely country of Brazil. I am in Japan and it is freezing here everyday and night. Will see you soon on another adventure in some weird on wonderful place no doubt.

    ReplyDelete